LiveWell at Home with 5-2-1-0 Toolkit
Get and Stay Healthy Together!
LiveWell Frederick has all the resources your family needs to eat healthily, stay active, and live well. Use this toolkit as inspiration for the four basic principles of 5-2-1-0. Get the whole family involved, and let us know what worked best for you.
A healthier, happier home is as simple as 5-2-1-0.
Eat 5 or more fruits and vegetables every day.
Limit daily recreational screen time to 2 hours or less.
Get 1 hour or more of physical activity every day.
Drink 0 sugary drinks—choose water instead.
Did you know in families who shared at least three meals together a week, children were 24 percent more likely to eat healthy foods than those in families who ate few or no meals together?
Homemade meals are not only typically lower calorie than dining out, but simple activities like eating and making meals together model healthy habits for children. It’s one of the best things you can do to help them maintain a healthy body weight, plenty of energy, and better mental health.
As a family, learn to follow and apply the 5-2-1-0 program daily. These resources will get you started.
Embrace a Healthy Diet
Eating 5 or more fruits and vegetables will give your family the nutrients they need to face the day and whatever comes their way. Check out these resources to meal plan your way to a healthier lifestyle.
- Fruit and Veggie Tracker
- Build Your Own Container Garden
- 10 Tips for Making Healthy Foods More Fun for Kids
- Create a Grocery Game Plan
- Access Healthy Foods Easily with Frederick Fresh Online
- 10 Ways to Shop Locally and Save Money
- Shop for Heart-Healthy Foods on a Budget in Frederick County
- Become a Lunchbox Hero
Step Away from That Screen
The less time your family spends looking at a screen, the more time you have together to make every moment count. Limit your family’s screen time to 2 hours or less. Try these no-screen-time activities, coloring sheets, and more!
- Virtual Frederick County Public Libraries Programming
- MyPlate Crossword Puzzle
- Have Fun with Fruits and Vegetables
- Fruits and Veggies Coloring Pages
- Less Screen Time, More Offline Time
- Challenge Accepted: Limit Your Family Screen Time
- 10 Cell Phone Safety Tips
Get Up and Get Movin’
Quality time together, positive emotions and feelings, deeper sense of connection, modeling the value of exercise: these are just a few of the many benefits of staying active as a family. Here are a few ideas for getting 1 hour or more of physical activity daily with your family.
- Encourage Kids to Get Active with Physical Activity Rewards
- 10 Tips for Becoming More Active as a Family
- The Puzzle Game
- Track Your Daily Physical Activity
- Visit Story Path
- The Best Types of Physical Activity for School-Aged Children and Adolescents
- Activities for Every Budget
Less Sugar, More Water
Drinking sugar-sweetened beverages like soda, sports drinks, and some coffees is associated with weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, and more. Limiting sugary drinks can help your family maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Make Your Own Sugar Bottle Display
- Daily Water Tracker
- Rethink Your Child’s Drink with These 10 Fun Activities
- Take the Rethink Your Drink Pledge
- Spring Cleaning for Sugar
- Sugar Content Worksheet